Based in Laguna Beach, California, FilmSpa is a technical advising firm expert in “the art of the spa” for film and television. Founder Candy Silvasy’s global spa expertise encompasses locales, treatments, design and protocol.
Does your production:
Have a spa scene(s)?
A character giving or receiving a spa treatment?
Depict a spa day?
Relax, spa expert & stylist, Candy Silvasy, will give your project the “treatment” it deserves, enticing spa loving audiences with a true to life spa experience tailored to fit your script. In addition, she has created on site spas for events like the Sundance Film Festival & can do the same on your set. To discuss FilmSpa for your project – or if you have any type of spa question, contact her at 513.543.0993 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spa Day, Destination or Resort?
Perhaps the most crucial aspect of representing spa in film, is choosing the right spa environment for your character, story, period & setting. There are major differences between day spas, nail salons, destination spas & wellness retreats and why a character would choose one over the other. Candy ensures that the spa depiction will be a believable match taking into advisement the following:
– Character’s age, lifestyle, financial status & motivation
– Geography & period
– The purpose of the spa in the plot. For instance, is the character undergoing a transformation? Does the spa symbolize a haven? Is the character on holiday?
Once the appropriate type of spa is determined, she can also assist you design the set or choose a location (see below).
The Spa Treatment
When crafting spa scenes, FilmSpa’s top considerations are: 1. That the sequence be as effortless for the actor as possible. 2. That the sequence have the greatest visual impact on film. 3. That the actors & the scene/stage can be reset as quickly as possible to speed filming.
Spa treatment protocol (the elements of a treatment) are period & geographically dependent. For instance, one wouldn’t find a steam room in Turkey – it would be a hammam & look different. Or, a film set in Thailand should not depict a Swedish massage. As a spa historian, Candy knows how to portray a variety of periods from an ancient Roman Bath to a 1950’s Beauty Parlour.
If an actor is required to play the role of a therapist or spa goer, Silvasy can coach the actor on what would happen during the treatment/spa visit.
Some treatments you may consider:
Pedicures & Manicures
Shirodhara Ancient Indian Oil Treatment
Watsu (Underwater Massage)
Massage including Thai, Swedish, Hot Stone & Four Handed
Don’t Shoot! It’s a Spa!
While the zen vibe of the spa seems miles away from the mayhem of a film shoot, if you want to shoot on location, Silvasy can help. Like a spa divining rod,
she can scout retreats in any country, work with the staff to meet your onsite needs & manage the details.
The Spa Set
Using a soundstage for your spa? Silvasy has created spas in locales from a carnival tent at the Sundance Film Festival to the middle of a botanical garden. She will collaborate with set designers to ensure a believable replica is achieved. Including:
– Selection & placement of equipment
– Interior design
– Necessary accoutrements
Just as the military has it’s uniforms, so do spagoers & staff. But before you en”robe” your actors in generic white terry cloth, let us suggest more suitable togs. Candy has selected uniforms & loungewear for a variety of spas and can source and supply your costumer with the same.
It’s a Spa Emergency
FilmSpa can assist you or your crew with any spa situations you may encounter such as:
– Reviewing scripts for proper spa terminology
– Creating fantasy & fun spa treatments for comedic purposes
– Arranging on set spa services
Spa with Candy
A lifelong passion for spa has fueled Candy’s career during which she has experienced 90+ spas & (begrudingly!) logged in too many treatments to count. Her “spa repertoire” includes:
– Stylist for spa & salon photo shoots
– Stager for residences & real estate brokers
– Reproduced spas at retail venues & entertainment functions such as the Sundance Film Festival
– Spa expert featured on: (Play her reel)
– Projects seen in:
– Producer & writer of the Spa4Diabetes Massage & Diabetes short
– Consultant to international resort, destination & day spas for over 10 years
– Member of the California Spa Association, Thai Spa Associations, Indian Spa Association and Australasian Spa Association
– Creator of the first engagement book/calendar devoted to spas, Art of the Spa
– Hair & Spa Model
– Editor of Spa Around the World