In 2007, the United Nations marked November 14 as World Diabetes Day – making it an official UN World Health Day. On this day, the International Diabetes Federation wages a campaign to invoke global diabetes awareness. This year the focus is on childhood diabetes with aims to:
▪ Increase the number of children supported by the International Diabetes Federation’s Life for a Child Program
▪ Raise awareness of the warning signs of diabetes
▪ Encourage initiatives to reduce diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) and distribute materials to support these initiatives
▪ Promote healthy lifestyles to help prevent type 2 diabetes in children
Spa4Diabetes & Children with Type 2 Diabetes
One of Spa4Diabetes (see tab above), main goals is to make health & fitness fun by presenting spa methods for living. Though we tend to think of Type 2 as an “older persons” problem, the average age of children getting Type 2 is dropping at an alarming rate. To combat this, Spa4Diabetes makes nutritious eating and regular movement attractive to children.
A Few Facts
▪ Many children with diabetes in developing countries die soon after diagnosis.
▪ Despite modern treatment, over 50% of children with diabetes develop complications 12 years after diagnosis.
▪ More than 200 children develop type 1 diabetes every day
▪ Diabetes is increasing in children and adolescents.
▪ A child’s access to appropriate medication and care should be a right not a privilege.
▪ Children with diabetes can live full, healthy, and productive lives.
▪ Over 50% of type 2 diabetes can be prevented.
See the complete list at: World Diabetes Day.org
How You can Raise Awareness by Showing Your
Because such a calamitous disease as diabetes deserves more than a day (and because the American Diabetes Association designates November as American Diabetes Month), Spa4Diabetes is encouraging women (&men) to practice “BlueBeauty” the month of November.
By being a BlueBeauty we can get people talking & raise research monies to benefit diabetes research, education and prevention programs. Spa Around the World will show it’s BlueBeauty by:
honoring spas & individuals around the world who engage in diabetes related classes & activities
uniting women worldwide to show their blue in their makeup, fashion, etc.
producing a global “BlueBeauty” spa event on November 14 and asking the beauty industry worldwide to Go Blue in November.
What Can You Do?
Identify an existing or create a blue themed spa treatment to offer on November 14, World Diabetes Day
The treatment could be: Blue colored, have blue in the name, be beneficial to diabetics. . . get creative.
Register your spa and treatment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll email you promotion details and ideas.
Beauty/Cosmetic Manufacturers & Retailers:
Manufacturers: Identify & promote cosmetics and skin care products that help women be “BlueBeauties”. These BlueBeauty products can be blue in color, ingredients, etc.
Retailers: Consider offering blue items at a discount on World Diabetes Day, Nov. 14
Submit your products to email@example.com and we’ll email promotion details and ideas as above.